We are living in a wonderful era where we are watching the rise and fall of social media. From Orkut to Facebook to MySpace to Twitter, we have witnessed many platforms that have revolutionized the way we interact with the digital world around us. While there are some proven benefits of using such social media websites, it also has its major disadvantages. Whether you operate it for personal use or work, it is important to know how you can get rid of your Twitter history. Knowing this is important if you wish to cover up your tracks to avoid becoming the victim of a smear campaign led by those wishing you ill. Moreover, certain naïve mistakes can even cost you your job!
So, remember to use Twitter responsibly and if you do goof up, here’s how you can delete your Twitter history:
- If you are deleting your Twitter history, yet are fond of your timeline, you may archive your tweets before you wipe it clean. Simply head over to ‘Settings’ on your Twitter handle and click on “Your Twitter Data” then ‘Twitter Archive’ to create an archived copy of your Twitter account.
- Choose an online service that maintains, manages, and cleans up your Twitter history. A few of these tools are available free of cost, while others might cost you a small subscription fee. We recommend TweetDelete, a free tool where you can delete your Twitter history and also set a time limit after which your future tweets will get deleted automatically.
- TweetDelete can delete up to 3200 tweets in one cycle. Paid apps, on the other hand, can delete your entire history in one go. Sign into the service app and give it the authorization to modify your Twitter account.
- Check the “Delete all my existing tweets before activating this schedule” prompt and click on “Activate.”
- In the case of TweetDelete, run the cycle multiple times until all your tweets are gone. This may take time depending on the number of tweets that you may have posted. To keep a check on the progress of the deletion operation, refresh your Twitter profile.
- In the last cycle of TweetDelete, select the option for automatically deleting your future tweets after a prescribed period. The app allows you to choose from one week to one year. Select one depending on the frequency of your tweeting needs.
By following these steps, you can avoid any untoward incident rising due to your Twitter history. Now you can go ahead and enjoy Twitter!