Do you want to set good device habits? Well, if you often find yourself whiling away hours of time, glued to your iPhone’s screen, then you might be on the verge of becoming nomophobic. More and more people are facing the issue of smartphone addiction and other similar anxieties these days. Apple has introduced a Screen Time feature for iOS 12. This feature helps users in tracking the amount of time they spent on their device. Read this guide to know all about how to set up and use Screen Time in iPhones and iPads.
How to access Screen Time
There is no specific application for Screen Time. Therefore for most new users, it may not be clearly evident as to how to access it. You can use Screen Time by going to Settings.
- Launch the Settings application.
- Scroll the list and find the Screen Time option.
- Touch the Screen Time option.
- Now, you can see your Screen Time statistics, and change settings.
- How to turn off Screen Time
- If you do not wish to use this feature, then here is how you can disable it:
- Tap on the Settings icon.
- When the app launches, scroll down and locate Screen Time.
- At the bottom of the screen, hit the Turn Off Screen Time button.
How to enable screen time
The Screen Time it turned on by default on the devices. However, the user may have disabled it. Here is how you can enable it again:
- From the Home screen, locate and tap on the Settings app.
- Scroll down and find Screen Time from the list.
- Tap on Screen Time.
- Press the Turn On Screen Time option in the Screen Time settings screen.
- Now, you can either add Screen Time as a parent or as a general user.
- Select the second option: Continue as a general user.
- Click on the blue Continue button.
How to set a Screen Time password?
Users can add a password for Screen Time. Other individuals will not be able to alter any settings regarding the Screen Time. Here is how you can do it:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Tap on Screen Time.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Use Screen Time Passcode.
- Set a Screen Time Passcode.
- Enter the passcode again in the Set Passcode screen.
- Note: The passcode must be four digits long.
How to turn on Downtime?
To curb your smartphone addiction, you can disable access for all the applications, save the basic ones for a specific duration. Here is how you can use this feature:
- Tap on the Settings application to open it.
- Select Screen Time from the list.
- After that, hit the Downtime option.
- Key in the password for Screen Time.
- Swipe right on the Toggle bar to enable Downtime. (It will turn green.)
- After that, below Downtime, enter the Start time for Downtime.
- Enter the End time for Downtime.
Note: These changes will get applied to all iOS and Mac devices logged in to the same iCloud account.
How to turn on Content and Privacy Restriction
- Tap on the Settings application from the Home screen.
- Press Screen Time from the list.
- After that, scroll down and select Content and Privacy Restrictions.
- Now, you need to key in the password for your Screen Time.
- Enable Content and Privacy by swiping the toggle bar next to it.
- Now, to grant permission for deleting apps, go to iTunes and App Store Purchases.
- Tap on Deleting Apps, and select Allow.
- You can do the same for apps installation and in-app purchases.
- Choose whether you want these activities to require a password or not.
Olivia Jones is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at www.norton.com/setup.