You must have experienced this issue of accidentally deleting photos from the SD card, laptop or phone. If you act swiftly, then you might be able to recover them. It can be scary to realize that you have accidentally deleted photos. You should be able to get them back as long as you have only removed them. The method will vary depending on which device you have deleted them from. The general process remains the same.
Recover deleted photos in the Windows
If you have selected some files and pressed the Delete key, then the Windows will put files in Recycle Bin. Don’t worry; they are not at all deleted, they are just moved to a different place.
- Open Recycle Bin.
- It will be an icon on Desktop, If not, then it is in the Start menu.
- Just type recycle in Windows 10 in the search box, and you will see them in the results.
- Check the Recycle Bin for the photos.
- If you want to filter the list for just photos, then look for Item type column.
- Hover over it and tap the download facing arrow to bring a list of file types.
- Scroll through and click each type including JPG and the JPEG.
- Click others if you know that your photos are in some different format like DNG or RAW.
- You can tap on Item type to order results from new to old or from the old to the original.
- If you can’t find the photos in Recycle Bin and they are deleted, you can still recover them.
- When Windows deleted the files, it marks the space where they were stored on the hard drive as deallocated.
- It is usually just a flag to mention the space can be used for some new files.
- It is swifter than erasing the files itself.
- It means that recovery software may scan your drive and look for the photos in deallocated space.
You can also take the help of some Photo recovery software
There are so many utilities that can recover the photos, some of them are:
- Disk Digger
- PC Inspector File Recovery
- Paragon Rescue Kit 14 Free
- CGSecurity PhotoRec
Before you start with the installation process, just keep in mind that this may overwrite some deleted photos of yours. It is better to go for a different computer to download it. The best option will be to pick one that can be installed on a USB stick and run from there. Portable’ version of Recuva from Piriform is being recommended the most.
Recuva is really easy to use because the wizard guides you in choosing the type of files you would like to recover. It goes off to try and find the photos. You will see a list from where you can tick the boxes next to ones you want to recover and select where to save them. Select a different hard drive or USB stick. You may find that original file name is gone, but at least you will have precious photos of your back.
Recover deleted photos from iPhone
If you have removed pictures on your iOS devices, then you will see a Recently Deleted folder in Albums section.
- It will be within the Photos app.
- It keeps deleted photos and videos for at least 30 days.
- So as long the time limit has not been passed, you can choose the ones you want and then restore them to the main camera roll.
Recover deleted photos from Android
If you use Google Photos on Android phone, you will see that there is a similar system to iPhone.
- You can easily find recently deleted photos in a Trash or Bin.
- Launch Google Photos app.
- Click the Menu icon.
- Click on Bin.
- Click and hold any photos that you would like to recover and Restore at the bottom.
- You will see the photos back in their original location on storage of your phone.
Olivia Jones is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.